Although she’s only sixteen and looks even younger, Misao Makimachi is already a skilled and competent member of the Oniwabanshu ninja clan. That’s fortunate for Misao, because her onimitsu talents may be all that keeps her alive when a journey in search of the leader of the clan, Aoshi Shinomori, leads her instead into a face-to-face encounter with an even more dangerous man and a plot to overthrow the Meiji government!
Quickly enmeshed in the affairs of the legendary assassin Hitokiri Battosai, now known as Kenshin Himura, wielder of the reverse-blade sword, Misao finds herself pulled into the middle of a deadly intrigue against Makoto Shishio, who is orchestrating the conquest of all Japan – beginning with Kyoto!
When I first heard about this arc was getting a reboot, I was thrilled to see the anime with new animation and an updated scenery. After I got done with the anime, I happily sat down and watched this OVA. In the end of this OVA, I was greatly disappointed.
This OVA was rushed and many of the memorable moments from the manga and anime was either removed or modified. Here is a breakdown on the cons:
- Most of the villains don’t make it into this movie. Obviously the main antaognist, Shishio, is here in this movie along with Anji, Soujiro, Yumi; however, most of the Juppongatana doesn’t make it.
- Kenshin’s actions are questionable. I will not spoil this OVA but I will mention that Kenshin’s actions can be a extreme compared to the anime.
- Much like I said earlier, fight scenes were rushed which as a result, it gives the viewer little satisfaction. The final battle is not even close to the original.
- This OVA is 90 minutes. This arc got entirely cut into pieces.
- The rating system is MA-17. This anime is recommended for Mature audience.
Here is the pros:
- The animation is clean and neat. Unlike the other Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (Reflection or Trust and Betrayel) the characters don’t look too dramatic and almost similar to the anime version.
- The voice acting is decent. It may not be as great as the original anime cast, but it was pretty decent.
As much as I enjoy Rurouni Kenshin, I would not recommend this OVA to the fans. Combining 30 episodes into a 90-minute OVA was not a good idea. I think it would have been better to pace themself when making this OVA and probably make it more than 2 episodes. This OVA is focused on a older audience rather than a young crowd.